District of Kenora Law Association
Business Address: Courthouse, 216 Water Street Kenora, Ontario P9N 1S4
Phone Number: 807-468-9335
Key Contact: Maria Berezowski, Library Technician
Web site: http://www.kenoralawassociation.ca/
Hours: The library is accessible to its members 24 hours per day, seven days a week.
Audience Served: Approximately 60 lawyers from the Kenora District, including Dryden, Sioux Lookout and Red Lake.
Circulation Policy: Honour system – members are required to sign out materials for up to a three week loan period. Statutes, regulations and Criminal Codes are non-circulating.
Library Type: Area
History: Prior to 1883 both Ontario and Manitoba disputed over which province had jurisdiction over the western portion of the district. The settlement had courthouses, jails and registry offices for both Manitoba and Ontario. Kenoras history is also intermeshed with that of Rainy River. In May of 1909, the name of the Provisional Judicial District of Fort Frances was changed to Rainy Riverand the North Division of the District took the name Kenora. In 1920, H.P. Cooke held the position of Librarian and Secretary-Treasurer of the Kenora District Law Association and in that same year it was decided to petition the Law Society for a loan of $350.00 for the security of the associations library.
Facility: The library is located on the main floor of the Kenora District Courthouse and overlooks beautiful Lake of the Woods. The lawyers lounge and robing room are located on the third floor of the courthouse. The lounge houses the asociations TV and VCR as well as a historical collection of law reports and statutes.